Saturday 20 April 2013

A Leap or a Tiptoe of Faith? The Artist’s Way, Check-In – Week 12

I’ve reached the end of the Artist’s Way, and feel bad for not posting this a few days ago. I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come; a decline in creativity and positive action. I’m sure it’s not, but this is how I feel as I reach not only a close to this great programme, but my masters as well. It’s as if all these doors are closing, which of course means many new ones are set to open, but like the focus of this week, I need to regain a sense of faith and trust all will be okay.

There are many competitions I’d like to enter, such as the Little Pieces of Gold Writing showcase, and I’ve recently found many opportunities through Ideas Tap, Literature Works and BBC Writer’s Room. I saw how much I could do and forced myself to come up with as many ideas as possible, but ended worried I’d never have a great idea again, if even I had already.

Cameron talks about the gestation period for ideas. That we must allow these ideas to grow in the dark before we force them out into the open. I took a few deep breaths and stepped back from my blocking pattern and took myself a little lighter, and soon, away from my computer and notebooks, I found new perspective and came up with a story I think in time could work.

It’s okay to mull on the page, says Cameron, and comments on the value of hobbies as a way to find inspiration. Since following this course, I’ve allowed myself to sign up to the Ramblers, a Tai Chi class, and this weekend I’m doing walk leader training. Through all these things, I have a greater chance to cultivate ideas than I do staring at my computer. I've started a report about the process of writing my script, and after staring at my machine for hours it feels like I have blinkers on. Perhaps if I go for a meditation or practise my Tai Chi, I’ll find the distance I so desperately need to get into a creative, fun having mind.

It’s all about succumbing to the great creator and trusting we’ll get there in the end. Slaving away for hours till numb does nothing for creativity, as much as we hope it might. We get the creative spark through fulfilling our desires, something I’m working to change as I look to the future.

I’d like to go travelling, but I think I’m afraid of failure or coming home poor. If this were a movie I’d need a shove out the door, at least I would if I thought I had to take a drastic step. A leap of faith sounds terrifying, and I think in reality it’s about a tiptoe of faith. Despite being unsure if I want to travel, I’ve gone for a meeting at a local school and secured a week’s worth of work experience to see if teaching abroad is the thing for me, as well as having researched countries and course providers. I didn’t wake up one morning and say, I’m off, boom. Instead, I listened to my intuition and took little steps as they came. Before I know it I’ll be in Taiwan thinking, “urm, excuse me, how did I get here?” I had a similar, surreal, suddenly in the moment awakening when I slept my first night in New Mexico. It’s a sign of the little steps you’ve taken, and a new adventure is your reward.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my journey along the Artist’s Way and will keep up morning pages and artist dates. I get anxious still, but can now identify what’s going on before I get too worked up. I hope I’ll get more scenes staged and find time to enter some competitions, but whatever happens, I vow to believe in myself, and go forth with excitement and anticipation for what comes next.

Has anyone else followed the Artist's Way or a similar course? How was it for you?

This article is based on my experiences from following Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way, a twelve week course designed to help blocked artist's rediscover their creative selves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment