Wednesday 16 January 2013

Can We Be Creative Workaholics?

I've been reading the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, a truly wonderful resource for 'blocked artists', and stumbled upon an interesting addiction apparently used to block creative energy; workaholism. As I read and ticked most of the boxes for a typical workaholic, I tried to make sense of how it applied to me, as I'm mostly a workaholic with creative projects. Not that I write more than anyone else, but seem to focus on writing and don't do much else, finding myself clogged and over-tired. Is it possible to be a creative workaholic?

"If I had more time I'd have more fun." Her phrase pretty much sums me up. I put off things that make me happy to achieve a perceived higher goal. I feel I must working on creative projects if I'm to make it as a writer, but often stop going to the cinema or reading scripts, stuff that would probably help my writing.

I sometimes don't want to cut back on any projects as I feel this will make me less worthy, lazy even. After reading this book, however, I think I take on so many projects to avoid finishing any of them, giving me the chance to slate myself and devoid myself of worth. It's fear that drives me, fear I won't become a successful writer unless I push myself. This is a problem also outlined in the book. In striving to be a great writer, I stop myself from becoming a writer at all.

I'll give an example. Earlier this year I had a conversation with my cousin, and after which revived an old blog and finally got round to setting this one up, something I've put off for a while. This was a positive step, but soon I became anxious. "How will I keep the deadlines?" I wondered, fearing that if I didn't, I'd seem a hack, not a real blogger at all. Before long, the blog posts were suffering, partly because I was doing too much, but also because I told myself I had to blog, or die.

I realised my mistake after reading the workaholic section. It's far better for me to firstly focus on a few projects to ensure I don't put myself under too much pressure. Secondly, I need to make sure I'm writing not because I fear I have to succeed in my goal, but because I want to, and have something to say. Right now I'm logged in not out of fear, but because I'm quite excited to share this revelation.

It seems a case of balance. We can and should put in time to reach our creative goals, but should be aware of piling our plates too high, and make sure we're writing for the right reasons: is it a need to succeed in our careers, or simply because today we want to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment